Friday, February 22, 2013

And for something a little different...

po·et·ry  

Noun
  1. Literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm;...
  2. A quality of beauty and intensity of emotion regarded as characteristic of poems: "poetry and fire are nicely balanced in the music".

Synonyms
verse - poem - poesy - rhyme


In all of my creative workings lately, and traveling the journey of my life, I have had a LOT of emotions and creative impulses swirling through and around me. I haven't written anything in a long time, in the way of poetry. I used to write a lot of it.

Tonight a poem came pouring out of my heart, through my head, and into my fingers. These are pure words from my feelings. I really haven't edited them. I really never do. Whatever editing happens in my poems nearly always happens in the course of writing them. After that it rarely feels right to go back and alter them. That's just my personal process. 

Anyway, I know poetry can speak in a way that reaches any number of people. So, I figured, why not share this as my next blog? I don't know who all actually reads this, but may this resonate with some of you in some way. 

A Friend In the Wings...
by. CMC

 
Trying to make sense of things...
Looking.
    Sifting.
        Poring through my feelings.
I ache inside.
I lied.

    I’m not as okay as I liked to think.
I want you to love me...

                         I don’t want to need it.
                 I don’t want you to know it.
    I don’t believe you will... you can...

I am extraordinary.
I am powerful beyond imagining.

                             I am terrified and quaking in my boots.

I carry my head high.
I walk with my Heart and Eyes Open.

The world is my playground.

        It feels like it sometimes pushes me around...
        I am that nerdy kid hoping she doesn’t get picked on.

I have so much Love to give.

    ...My feelings run away with me....

I look at you and I think...
    I like you...
        There’s so much about you...
            You make me smile, and ...
    You are so comfortable.

The butterflies I feel with you are like to make me fly away.

You can make my knees tremble.

                                   I don’t want this!
                                   I don’t need this!
                                   I don’t understand this!
All I ever wanted was a friend.

All I was looking for was a connection.
    I got more than I bargained for...

Please?
    ... please...
                       ... just...
                                        ... hold me?

Tell me you like me?

    ...please...

Just let me be a Friend.

    Let me smile at your joy...
Ache at your pain...
    Laugh with your humor...
Growl with your anger...
    Delight in your successes...
Commiserate in your struggles...
    Wish all of the best for you...
Be here to fight through the crap with you...

Let me be myself with you.

    Let me laugh until I snort.
Let me cry at absurd things -
    In joy, sadness, anger, sentimentality.
Let me light candles for your health.
    Let me write you letters,
Send birthday cards,
    Bake you cakes and cookies.
Let me be the biggest dork you know,
    and still one of the coolest,
Wisest,
    Sweetest,
        Zaniest,
            Most passionate,
Eternally curious,
    Old soul, child-like, womanly, HUMAN
Beings you know.

Let me be someone you know is always there -

Ready with a friendly ear,
    A great big hug,
A shoulder to lean on,
    A helping hand.

I would delight in these things.

Let me be a source of JOY for you.
I don’t need your romance.
                 I don’t need epic LOVE.

I need a Friend.
   
                                    Companion?

         Comrade?

...I lied when I said I was okay...
    I didn’t mean to...
        Truly I believed it in the moment.

The aches in me have revealed the truth.

Don’t push away.
    Don’t...
  lock me out...

I get you worry.
                  I get why you are concerned.
I get why you would want to detach.

We are human, though.

We will always be stronger in numbers,
With support,
    Friends,
        Comrades in arms.

So...
    I’m here.
Ready.
Waiting...
 
A Friend in the wings...
Standing by.

                 ...Will you have me?

No comments:

Post a Comment